three-day whirlwind

[The wifi here at the hotel is  a little spotty, and we’re not here long; this here is just a little “We’re Alive!” post.]

It’s Tuesday morning and I’m lounging in a hotel room in Tucumcari, New Mexico.  We’ve (briefly) seen 14 states over a little more than a 3 day period.

We are crazy.

We departed Philadelphia at 7:30pm on Friday night.  This was a few hours later than we originally planned.  But that three-hour delay made me feel much better about being away from work for two weeks. After a quick stop in Delaware for coffee, our first official visit was in Maryland where we had a late supper with the ever lovely Matt.

Since she’s the night owl, Andrea had the first driving leg. I slept through most of Virginia.

Our second stop was in Chapel Hill, NC.  Our friend Jenn, was visiting friends there, so we dropped in for a quick visit.  We had tea and chatted for a bit before making our good byes and heading out on the road, this time with me driving.  Jenn’s friend had suggested a diner not to far away, Elmo’s, in Carroboro, NC. If you get the chance, go there.  The food was fantastic.

Andrea slept for a while as I drove through North Carolina.  As we got closer to the South Carolina border, the weather was turning toward rain.  Figuring it was just a storm, I kept driving. Andrea was in and out of sleep so I turned the radio on to keep me company.  Less than a song in, the emergency weather service had a message; the approaching storm was sporting 58 mile per hour winds with the possibility of tornadoes. I’m happy to drive in the rain, but tornadoes? We pulled over and had an early lunch at a Waffle House.  Shortly after being seated, the rain started pouring down in sheets and the wind was whipping the trees around like crazy.  There was NO visibility through the windows of the restaurant.  The crazy weather lasted as long as our lunch.  By the time we walked outside the sun was out, the air was clean and calm, and birds were singing.

South Carolina that afternoon was uneventful.  We stopped at a welcome center on the highway and later a mall to stretch our legs.  The drive went so well, we were able to meet our next tour stop: dinner and a show in Athens, GA.  Our visit to Athens was only a few hours long, but I think it deserves its own post.  Look for it tomorrow.

We got out of Athens around 1:00am, Sunday night.  Exhausted, we couldn’t drive much further. Andrea got us to a hotel just outside of Atlanta, GA.

Our next tour stop was Memphis, TN.  We were pretty certain that we could make it by dinner.  But that meant a solid drive through the rest of Georgia, all of Alabama, and a corner of Mississippi.  The weather again was perfect. We made a few pit stops along the way; breakfast at a Waffle House in Georgia,  lunch at a Sonic in Alabama, state welcome centers and gas stations. We got to Memphis, TN at around 9:00PM on Sunday night. Our Memphis visit also deserves a full post of its own.  Just know, we had a really good time.

I was awake long enough as we left Tennessee, to snap a blurry photo of the Welcome to Arkansas sign on the bridge over the Mississippi River.  I slept through most of Arkansas.

I woke at 6:00am, Monday morning when Andrea pulled into a gas station just inside the Oklahoma border.  Next tour stop: Oklahoma City, OK.  4 hours later we pulled into a parking lot in the city and stepped into perfect late Monday morning sunshine. We were able to walk around a little, see some sights & have some breakfast.  We weren’t there too long as we really wanted to get to the Route 66 Museum in Elk City, OK that afternoon. Look for more on both OKC and Elk City in a separate post.

After Oklahoma, we went off the main highway for a bit and drove Historic Route 66 into Texas.  “Oh my god. We’re in fucking Texas!” was our quote for the day.  It *finally* sank in that we were on an epic road trip, with over a week of crazy vacation to go.  I guess our two Texas stops also should get stand alone post treatment.  The Conoco Tower in Shamrock was cool. Dinner in Amarillo was simply relaxing.

While at dinner, I looked up hotels just inside the New Mexico border. We knew we had to make another hotel stop for genuinely restful sleep. And that’s where we are right now, the Hotel Safari in Tucumcari, New Mexico on Historic Route 66. The hotel owner gave us a breakfast recommendation for today, and there’s a dinosaur museum we hope to visit.  After that we’ll be back on the road. Hopefully we’ll get to Las Vegas tonight.


2 Responses to “three-day whirlwind”

  1. 1 Sarah Bobara
    20 April 2011 at 1:46 am

    Glad to see you two are having a blast. I love ya! Travel safe!

  2. 10 August 2014 at 9:53 am

    Good post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

About the girls

Joanna and Andrea
We're two East Coast ladies making a road trip cross country. Obviously this needs to be live-blogged.

RSS Our latest updates on Twitter

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Follow the adventures of @freakapotimus and @springviolet with up-to-the-minute information via #2girls1car on Twitter.

%d bloggers like this: